"DANBY WISKE, a parish in the eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Yafforth, and the township of Danby-Wislc, and containing 477 inhabitants, of which number, 328 are in the township of Danby-Wisk, 3 miles N.W. from North Allerton. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £9. 3. 111. The Rev. William Cust was patron in 1811."
"YAFFORTH, a chapelry in the parish of DANBYWISKE, eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, l mile N.W. from North Allerton, containing 149 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]