GENUKI Home page    Danby Wiske Parish<br>main page Danby Wiske
main page

Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"DANBY WISKE, a parish, and township in the wapentake of East Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 4 miles N.W. of Northallerton railway station, and 9 N.E. of Bedale. It is situated on the river Wiske, near the Great Northern railway. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York, value with the perpetual curacy of Yafforth, £490, in the patronage of the Rev. E. Cust. The church is a stone edifice. The charities amount to £2 per annum. There is a Wesleyan chapel."

"STREETLAM, a hamlet in the parish of Danby-Wiske, North Riding, county York, 3 miles N.W. of Northallerton, near the river Wiske."

"YAFFORTH, a chapelry and township in the parish of Danby-Wiske, wapentake of Gilling-East, North Riding county York, 1½ mile W. of Northallerton station of the Great Northern railway, near the river Wiske. The living is a curacy annexed to Danby-Wiske. The church is a chapel-of-ease to Danby-Wiske."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013

This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015