"DOWNHOLME, (or Downham), a parish in the wapentake of West Hang, North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles N. of Leyburn, and 5 S.W. of Richmond, its post town and nearest railway station. It is situated near the river Swale, and contains the townships of Downholme, Walburn, Stainton, and Ellerton Abbey. On the banks of the Swale are the ruins of Ellerton Nunnery, founded in the reign of Henry II. At the Dissolution its revenue was estimated at only £8. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £75, in the patronage of J. T. Hutton, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient stone structure in the later Norman style of architecture, with belfry containing two bells. The charities amount to about £8 per annum. There is a parochial school with a small endowment. The parish comprises four manors, of which Lord Bolton is lord of the manor of Downholme; T. Hutton, Esq., of the manor of Walburn; S. T. S. Scrope, Esq., of Stainton; and J. Drax, Esq., of Ellerton Abbey."
"ELLERTON ABBEY, a township in the parish of Downholme, wapentake of West Hang, North Riding county York, 2 miles W. of Downholme, and 6 S.W. of Richmond. It is situated on the river Swale. A Cistercian nunnery was founded here in the reign of Henry II. Its revenue at the Dissolution was £15 10s. 6d. J. S. Drax, Esq., is lord of the manor"
"STAINTON, a township in the parish of Downholme, wapentake of West Hang, North Riding county York, 5 miles S.W. of Richmond, near the river Swale. S. Scrope, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"WALBURN, a township in the parish of Downholme, wapentake of West Hang, North Riding county York, 1¼ mile S.W. of Downholme, and 5 miles S.W. of Richmond. T. Hutton, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013