"EASBY, a parish in the wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding of county York, 1 mile E. of Richmond, its post town and railway station, and 4 W. of Catterick. It is situated on the river Swale, and contains the townships of Aske, Brompton-upon-Swale, Easby, and Skeeby. The parish comprises about 5,090 acres, tithe-free. The village is small. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value with the curacy of Brompton-on-Swale annexed, £100, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, which stands at a considerable distance from the village, is dedicated to St. Agatha. It is a stone structure of the 11th century, and contains an ancient font of fine workmanship. There are chapels-of-ease at Skeeby and Brompton-upon-Swale. Here is a hospital for four poor persons, and other charities amounting to £14 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel at Brompton-upon-Swale. There are National schools for both sexes. In the neighbourhood are extensive ruins of an abbey, founded for Premonstratensian Canons, about the middle of the 12th century. The ruins are in excellent preservation. The parish has several fine seats, the principal of which are Aske Hall, belonging to the Earl of Zetland, and Easby Abbey."
"ASKE, a township in the parish of Easby, western division of the wapentake of Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the N. of Richmond. In this township is Aske Hall, the seat of the Earl of Zetland; it stands in a beautiful park, on elevated ground commanding fine prospects."
"BROMPTON UPON SWALE, a township in the parish of Easby, wapentake of East Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the E. of Richmond. Citadilla is a hamlet of this township"
"CITADILLA, a hamlet in the parish of Easby, in the wapentake of East Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 2 miles E. of Richmond."
"SKEEBY, a township in the parish of Easby, wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 2 miles N.E. of Richmond. It is a small agricultural village, situated on a branch of the river Swale. In 1839 a chapel-of-ease was erected here, with a school adjoining."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013