"ASKE, in the parish of Easby, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2 miles NNW. of Easby, 1½ mile N. of Richmond. This small township consists of a few straggling houses occupied by the tenants of Lord Dundas, who is lord of the manor, and has a very beautiful seat here (Aske Hall). Pop. 109.
The family of Dundas is descended from Gospatrick, Earl of Northumberland, who, 1066, went into Scotland with King Malcolm Canmore, rather than submit to the Conquerer. King Malcolm gave him lands of Dunbar, and many other possessions in Scotland. Sir Lawrence Dundas, father of the late Lord, was created a baronet in 1762, and the late lord was elevated to the barony of Aske in 1794, who was succeeded by the present lord in 1821. -Debrett's peerage.
Sir Lawrence Dundas purchased the Manor of Aske of the last Earl of Holderness, in 1760, or 1762, in which family it has ever since remained. --Whitaker."
"BROMPTON UPON SWALE, (Brunton in the Domesday book) in the parish of Easby, wapentake of Gilling East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2 miles E. of Easby, 3 miles E. of Richmond. Pop. 388."
"CITTADILLA, in the parish of Easby, wapentake of Gilling East and liberty of Richmondshire; 2¾ miles E. of Easby, 4 miles E. of Richmond."
"OLLIVER, a farm house in the township of Aske, and parish of Easby; 1½ miles N. of Easby, 1 mile from Richmond."
"SAINT TRINIAN'S HALL, a single house in the township and parish of Easby; ½ mile ENE. of Easby, 1 mile from Richmond, 4 from Catterick."
"SKEEBY, in the parish of Easby, wapentake of Gilling West. and liberty of Richmondshire; 1½ miles NNE. of Easby, 2 miles NE. of Richmond. Population, 163.
Here St. Osyth had a chantry, and from her is the name of the place derived, though strangely corrupted. -Whitaker."