Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for EASINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

EASINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"EASINGTON, a parish in the E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 10 miles N.E. of Guisborough station, and 11 E. of Redcar. It is situated near the German Ocean, and contains the townships of Easington and Liverton, and the hamlets of Boulby and Scaling Down, with part of the village of Staithes. There are alum works here, which give employment to a number of the people. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value with the curacy of Liverton annexed, £436. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a plain edifice, with tower containing two bells. There is a chapel-of-ease at Liverton, and a National school for both sexes at the village of Easington."


"BOULBY, a hamlet in the parish of Easington, liberty of Langbaurgh, in the North Riding of the county of York, 10 miles to the N.W. of Whitby. It is situated on the sea-coast, and is the site of large and valuable alum-works, established in 1615. The works are on the summit of a lofty cliff. Many interesting fossils are found in the rocks here, the strata of which are remarkably regular in their disposition. The old manor-house, now a farmhouse, was the seat of a branch of the Conyers family, to whom the alum-works once belonged."


"LIVERTON, a chapelry in the parish of Easington, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding of county York, 2½ miles, W. of Easington, and 6 E. of Guisborough. Redcar is its post town. The village is inconsiderable. The living is a curacy consolidated with the rectory* of Easington. The church is a small edifice, of ancient date, partly in the Norman style. There is a school for the children of the district, Viscount Downe is lord of the manor."


"SCALING DAM, a hamlet in the parish of Easington, North Riding county York, 6 miles E. of Guisborough."


"STAITHES, a village in the parish of Easington, North Riding county York, 9 miles N.W. of Whitby. It is a coastguard station, and the place where Captain Cook was apprenticed. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the fisheries."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016