"EASINGTON, a parish in the E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 10 miles N.E. of Guisborough station, and 11 E. of Redcar. It is situated near the German Ocean, and contains the townships of Easington and Liverton, and the hamlets of Boulby and Scaling Down, with part of the village of Staithes. There are alum works here, which give employment to a number of the people. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value with the curacy of Liverton annexed, £436. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a plain edifice, with tower containing two bells. There is a chapel-of-ease at Liverton, and a National school for both sexes at the village of Easington."
"BOULBY, a hamlet in the parish of Easington, liberty of Langbaurgh, in the North Riding of the county of York, 10 miles to the N.W. of Whitby. It is situated on the sea-coast, and is the site of large and valuable alum-works, established in 1615. The works are on the summit of a lofty cliff. Many interesting fossils are found in the rocks here, the strata of which are remarkably regular in their disposition. The old manor-house, now a farmhouse, was the seat of a branch of the Conyers family, to whom the alum-works once belonged."
"LIVERTON, a chapelry in the parish of Easington, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding of county York, 2½ miles, W. of Easington, and 6 E. of Guisborough. Redcar is its post town. The village is inconsiderable. The living is a curacy consolidated with the rectory* of Easington. The church is a small edifice, of ancient date, partly in the Norman style. There is a school for the children of the district, Viscount Downe is lord of the manor."
"SCALING DAM, a hamlet in the parish of Easington, North Riding county York, 6 miles E. of Guisborough."
"STAITHES, a village in the parish of Easington, North Riding county York, 9 miles N.W. of Whitby. It is a coastguard station, and the place where Captain Cook was apprenticed. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the fisheries."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013