GENUKI Home page    Easingwold Parish<br>main page Easingwold
Parish
main page

EASINGWOLD:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1829.

"EASINGWOLD, a market and parish-town, in the wapentake of Bulmer, and in the north riding, is 208 miles from London, and 13 from York. The town is neat, though ancient; but, from the circumstance of its inland situation, without any navigable communication, its trade is not very considerable, except in the articles of bacon and butter, of which large quantities are sent from hence to York, and much reach the London market. George Wombwell, Esq. of Newbro' Park. in this vicinity, is lord of the manor, and holds a court leet and baron, generally in May and October. The living of the church is a vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Edmund Paley. Here is a free school, endowed for the education of thirty boys and the like number of girls. The country in this part is fertile, and agriculture prevails; dairying is also profitable, and the scenery of the neighbourhood is of a pleasing character. The market day is on Friday; and the fairs are July 6th and September 26th, for horses and cattle. The population of the parish, including the chapelry of Raskelf, in 1821 was 2,352, and that of the township of Easingwold, 1,912."

[Transcribed from Pigot's National Commericial Directory for 1828-29 ]
by Colin Hinson 2007


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014