"EASINGWOLD, a parish, and market town in the wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 3½ miles N.E. of the Alne station on the North-Eastern railway, and 13 N. of York. It is situated in the Vale of York, on the western side of the Howardian hills, and contains the townships of Easingwold and Raskelf. The town, which is irregularly built, is lighted with gas, and well supplied with pure water. It has a convenient market-place, and good library with reading-room. The corn and mustard mills, iron foundry, brewery, rope walks, tannery, and brick kilns give employment to many of the inhabitants. The chief trade is in bacon and butter, which are sent to York, and from thence to London. Petty sessions are held in the town, and the Board of Guardians meets regularly for the Easingwold Poor-law Union, which comprises 29 parishes. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £205, in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester. The parish church, dedicated to St. John, or, as others say, to All Saints, is an ancient stone structure, with fine tower, containing five bells and a clock. It is situated on an eminence above the town, commanding an extensive view to the forest of Galtres, and of the Vale of Mowbray. There is also a district church at Raskelf, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £216, in the gift of the bishop. The charities produce about £163 per annum, of which £75 belongs to the free school founded in 1781 by Mrs. E. Westerman. The Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Roman Catholics have each a chapel, with Sunday schools attached. A tesselated pavement and other Roman antiquities have been found here. In the neighbourhood are several chalybeate springs, and coal and iron-stone abound. Sir George county Wombwell, Bart., is lord of the manor. Friday is market day. Fairs are held on the 2nd April, 6th July, and 26th September, for horses and cattle."
"RASKELF, a chapelry in the parish of Easingwold, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 2½ miles N.W. of Easingwold, its post town. It is a station on the North-Eastern railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the little river Kyle, and is chiefly agricultural. Three-parts of the land are arable, and the remainder pasture and woodland. There are brick and tile kilns. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £216, in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure, with a wooden tower containing three bells. The tower is covered with ivy. In the church windows are the arms of Neville Earl of Westmorland, Scrope, Dacre, and Percy, probably commemorating ancient benefactors. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum. There is a parochial school, erected in 1856, in which a Sunday-school is also held. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. W. F. Webb, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013