"EAST COWTON, a parish in the eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles E.N.E. from Catterick, containing 338 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £4. 6. 10- The patronage is attached conditionally to the Mastership of Kirkby-Ravensworth Hospital, or otherwise in the patronage of the Wardens and Hospitallers. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. A free school established here has an annuity of £27 from Kirkby-Ravensworth school fund."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]