GENUKI Home page    East Cowton Parish<br>main page East Cowton
Parish
main page

EAST COWTON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"EAST COWTON, a parish, in the wapentake of East Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 6 miles N.E. of Northallerton. It is a station on the North-Eastern railway. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon, value 202, in the patronage of Kirby Ravensworth Hospital. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The charities produce 30, the endowment of Dakyn's free school."


"NORTH COWTON, a township in the parish of East Cowton, in the wapentake of East Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York,"


"SOUTH COWTON, a chapelry in the parish of East Cowton, in the wapentake of East Gilling, North Riding of the county of York. Adjoining this chapelry is Standard Hill, where the battle of the Standard was fought in 1138. The living is a perpetual curacy, value 53, in the patronage of the vicar. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The charities produce about 7 per annum."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014