The Ancient Parish of EAST COWTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"EAST COWTON, (or Long Cowton) a parish in the wapentake of Gilling East, and
liberty of Richmondshire; 8 miles NNW. of Northallerton. The parish church at
this place is dedicated to St. James, the living is a vicarage, in the
patronage of St. John's hospital, in Kirkby Ravensworth; incumbent, the Rev.
Thomas Jackson. Here is a free school, allowed £27. per annum by the Kirby
Hill free school. Pop. 338."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
All Saints' Church, East Cowton. An extension has been added since this photograph was taken.
(With short history).
- A transcription of the 1914-1918
War Memorial in East Cowton Churchyard.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015