GENUKI Home page    East Harlsey Parish<br>main page East Harlsey
Parish
main page

EAST HARLSEY:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"EAST HARLSEY, a parish in the wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles E.N.E. from North AHerton, containing 420 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with 300 private benefaction, and 200 royal bounty. J. C. Maynard, Esq. was patron in 1818."


"MOUNT GRACE, a ruin, in the parish of EAST-HARLSEY, wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles E.N.E. from North Allerton. A Carthusian priory, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin and St. Nicholas, was founded here, about 1396, by Thomas de Holland, Duke of Surrey, who endowed it with extensive possessions; but dying in rebellion against Henry IV., before the completion of his design, its progress was interrupted, but again renewed in 1440, by Henry VI., who confirmed in parliament the former grants: its revenue at the dissolution was valued a 382. 5. 11.: there are considerable remains of the monastic buildings, and of the church, which was cruciform, with a tower rising from the intersection."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014