"EAST HARLSEY, a parish in the wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 2 miles S.E. of Welbury station, and 7 N.E. of Northallerton, its post town. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. Large beds of freestone and ironstone are known to exist, but are not worked. This parish contains Mount-Grace, where are the ruins of a priory for Carthusian monks, founded in 1396 by the Duke of Surrey, and dedicated to the Virgin. Near these ruins, on an eminence, are the remains of a Lady chapel, founded in 1515. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £62. The church is a small stone structure, very ancient, with a campanile and two bells. There are several small charities. The register commences in 1693. Harlsey Hall is the principal residence."
"MOUNT GRACE, a village in the parish of East Harlsey, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Northallerton. It is situated in a secluded spot with the ruins of a church and Lady chapel of a Carthusian priory founded by Thomas de Holland, Duke of Surrey, in Richard II.'s time. Its revenues at the Dissolution were valued at £382 5s. 11d."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013