GENUKI Home page    East Hauxwell Parish<br>main page East Hauxwell
Parish
main page

EAST HAUXWELL:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"EAST HAUXWELL, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Barton, Garriston, East Haukswell, and West Haukswell, and containing 334 inhabitants, of which number, 176 are in the townships of East and West Haukswell, 5 miles S. from Richmond. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at 20. 14. 4., and in the patronage of Henry Gale, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Oswald, stands at a distance from the village, and consists only of one aisle and a narrow choir. Six poor children are instructed for 3 annually, the gift of Mr. Gale."


"BARTON, a township in the parish of EAST HAUXWELL, western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.W. from Richmond, containing 106 inhabitants."


"GARRISTON, a township in the parish of EAST HAUXWELL, western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.N.E. from Middleham, containing 52 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014