"EAST HAUXWELL, (or Haukswell), a towship and a parish in the wapentake of West Hang, North Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Leyburn railway station, and 5 S. of Richmond. The parish contains the townships of East and West Haukswell, Barden, and Garriston. The first named is a small village, adjoining the township of West Haukswell, in which stands the church, the hall, the rectory house, and one farm. The soil is loamy, with clay subsoil, producing good crops of wheat, eats, barley, except in the township of Barden, which is principally high moorland. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, value £295. The church, dedicated to St. Oswald, is an ancient stone structure, with castellated tower containing two bells. It contains monuments to the Gale family, who have long possessed the manors of Haukswell and Barden; but that of Garriston belongs to Marmaduke Wyvill, Esq. There is a school for boys and girls, with a small endowment. Haukswell Hall is an ancient stone mansion, surrounded by a park of 60 acres."
"BARDEN, a township in the parish of East Hauxwell, and wapentake of Hang, in the North Riding of the county of York, 3 miles from Leyburn."
"GARRISTON, a township in the parish of East Hauxwell, wapentake of West Hang, North Riding county York, 1 mile from the village of Haukswell, and 3 miles N.E. of Leyburn. Marmaduke Wyvill, Esq., is lord of the manor and sole proprietor."
"WEST HAUXWELL, a township in the parish of East Hauxwell, in the wapentake of West Hang, North Riding county York."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013