Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades
for EAST WITTON in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.
EAST WITTON WITHIN TOWNSHIP.
- Post Office at Miss Dinsdale's. Letters arrive via Bedale at 9-25 a.m.,
and are despatched at 3-30 p.m. No arrival or despatch on Sundays. The nearest Money Order
and Telegraph Office is at Middleham.
Miscellany of trades
- Birtwistle Thomas, gamekeeper
- Bucktin Christopher, blacksmith
- Chapel-of-Ease, Colsterdale - Sundays, service, 3 p.m.
- Craggs William, cartwright
- Crowe Richard, cowkeeper
- Fletcher Thomas, shoemaker and sexton
- Frith Henry, schoolmaster and parish clerk
- Hammond Thomas, gamekeeper
- Harker Thomas, shopkeeper
- Hutchinson Joe, blacksmith
- Jervaulx & District Horticultural Society - S. Cunliffe Lister, Esq., president; H.
Christie, Esq., vice-president; John Maughan and John Rennie, hon. secs.
- Kendray Paul, jun., shopkeeper
- Mason Charles, apartments
- Metcalf William, vict., Blue Lion
- Mood Walter, butcher
- Moor Mrs. Ann & Son (Matt. Hy.), cowkeepers
- Parish Church - Sundays, service, 10-30 a.m. and 6-30 p.m.
- Peacock Richard, stonemason
- Raper Mrs. Mary Jane & Son (John), tailors and outfitters
- Raper Thomas, architect, builder, and surveyor
- Reading Room; Henry Frith, hon. sec.
- Rennie John, seedsman and Temperance Hotel
- Ryder Mr. John
- Ryder Joseph, assistant overseer
- Shields Mrs. Eliza & Son (Joseph), cowkeepers
- Spence Thomas Urwin, shoemaker
- Spence Thomas, joiner and builder
- Towler Mrs. Elizabeth, vict. and farmer, Foresters' Arms
- Wesleyan Chapel - Sundays, service, 2 p.m. and 6-30 p.m.
- Wilkie Rev. David, M.A., Oxon., The Vicarage
- Williamson Miss Susannah
- Barker Francis Croft, Grange farm
- Bradley William, Marwood
- Croft John, sen., Lowthorpe house
- Croft William & John, jun., Waterloo farm
- Dawson James Edwd. & Sons (John & Thos.), Braithwaite hall. Letters via Middleham.
- Lofthouse Mrs. Eliza
- Pease William, Fleet house; h Hutton Hang
- Pickard John, East Witton lodge
- Winn Mrs. Annie
- Winn F. (and corn miller), East Witton mill
EAST WITTON WITHOUT TOWNSHIP.
Miscellany of trades
- Christie Hector, Esq., J.P., C.C. for the Settle Division of the West Riding
County Council, Jervaulx abbey; Langcliffe place, near Settle; and Reform and Devonshire clubs
- Christie William Lorenzo, Esq., J.P. for the West Riding, Lieut. of the 2nd
West Yorkshire Yeomanry Cavalry, Jervaulx abbey; The Salisbury club, St. James' square
- Maughan John, land agent, capt. commanding A Company (Wensleydale) 1st Vol.
Battalion (Princess of Wales' Own) Yorkshire Regt., Jervaux
- Rennie Thomas, gardener, Jervaulx
- Calvert James, High Newstead
- Croft Thomas, Sowden beck
- Croft William, Eelmire
- Hall William, Moor cote
- Jessop Andrew, Elm ing
- Maughan Frank, High Jervaulx
- Thompson Richard, Lane house
- Vayro William, Angram lodge
- Verity Watson, Hammer
- Waddington Exors. of Rt. T., Kilgram grange
- Watson James, Low Newstead (and Tranmire)
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015