"EBBERSTON, a parish in the wapentake of Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 6 miles E. of Pickering, its post town, and 11 W. of Scarborough. It is situated near the river Derwent, and contains the hamlet of Bickley. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value with the curacy of Allerston annexed, £135, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, a stone structure, with embattled tower, is dedicated to St. Mary. Here is the tomb of King Alfred of Northumbria, who died in the early part of the 8th century. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Digby Cayley, Esq., is lord of the manor. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1768."
"SNAINTON, a chapelry in the parishes of Brompton-by-Sawdon and Ebberston, Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 8 miles S.E. of Pickering, and 9 S.W. of Scarborough. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the river Derwent. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Brompton, in the diocese of York. The church was rebuilt in 1836. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. The Wesleyans have a place of worship."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
by Colin Hinson ©2013