"EGTON, a parish in the E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 6 miles S.W. of Whitby, and 11 W. of the Grosmont railway station on the Whitby branch of the Great Eastern line. It is situated on the river Esk, and includes the hamlet of Egton Bridge. This place received a charter for a market and four annual fairs from William III., and had a priory, founded in the early part of the 13th century. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £120, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is an ancient stone structure in the early English style of architecture. It is dedicated to St. Hilda. There is also the district church of Grosmont, with an endowment of £40. The charities produce about £4 per annum. The Independents and Roman Catholics have each a chapel. The trustees of the late R. C. Elwes, Esq., are lords of the manor. Fairs are held on Tuesdays before the 14th February, before Palm Sunday, before the 13th May, from then every Tuesday till July 15th, and the same day of the week before 12th August, 4th September, 11th October, and 23rd November, for cattle, &c., and one on the 3rd November for hiring of servants."
"LIMBER HILL, a hamlet in the parish of Egton, North Riding county York, 7 miles S.W. of Whitby."
"NEWBEGIN, a hamlet in the parish of Egton, North Riding county York, 7 miles S.W. of Whitby."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013