Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Egton:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Egton:


"COTE BANK LODGE, (the seat of D'Oyley Saunders, Esq.) in the township and parish of Egton; 1¼ miles ENE. of Egton, 6 miles from Whitby."


"EGTON BANKS, 4 farm houses in the township and parish of Egton, 1½ miles W. of Egton, 7 miles from Whitby."


"EGTON BRIDGE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Egton, east-division of Langbarugh; (the seat of Richard Smith, Esq.), ¾ mile SSW. of Egton, 7 miles from Whitby."


"EGTON GRANGE, a farm house in the township and parish of Egton; 1¾ miles W. of Egton, 8 miles from Whitby."


"GROSMONT ABBEY, in the township and parish of Egton, east-division of Langbarugh; 1¼ miles ESE. of Egton, 8 miles from Whitby, 19 from Guisborough, 21 from Stokesley.

This was a Cell to the Abbey of Gramont, in France, given by Joan, wife of Robert de Turnham, and confirmed by King John, in the 15th year of his reign. At the general dissolution it was valued, according to Dugdale, at 12L. 2s. 8d. and according to Speed, at 14L. 2s. 8d. The site, 35 Henry VIII. was granted to Edward Wright, Esq. for the sum of 184L. l3s 2d. subject to a yearly payment of 18s. 10d. The next year it came into the possession of Sir Richard Cholmley, Knight, and continued till 1668, and now belongs to Richard and Matthew Agar, and Mr. John Linskill. From the ruins of the convent a spacious farm-house with out-offices, has been long ago erected, at the west-end of the Priory Church. -Burton -Graves. It was situated on the northern banks of the river Esk."


"GROSMONT BRIDGE, in the township and parish of Egton; 1 mile ESE. of Egton, 8 miles from Whitby.

Near this place are the remains of an ancient Forge, where iron has been manufactured, occupying a space about 100 feet square.-Young."


"HAZLEHEAD, a few houses, in the township and parish of Egton; 10 miles from Whitby, 11 from Pickering. A Roman-Road runs in front of this place."


"JULIAN PARK, a few houses in the township and parish of Egton; 3¼ miles S. of Egton, 8 miles from Whitby, 15 from Pickering.

"Here are the traces of an ancient large building, which had been moated round." -Burton. It was the seat of Lord Mauley; a church or chapel stood near it, and the field is still called Kirkfield. About 40 yards west, may be traced the remains of an ancient Roman Military Road, called Wade's Causeway. -Graves"


"NEWBIGGIN HALL, (a seat of Henry Walker Yeoman, Esq) in the township and parish of Egton; 2 miles E. of Egton, 5 miles from Whitby.

Newbiggin was an ancient manor belonging to the Mauleys, lords of Mulgrave, and with Egton and other possessions descended to the Salvins, by marriage. This ancient seat had long been in ruins; on the site of which, the present more modern mansion has been erected. -Graves."


"SHORTWAITE, 3 cots, in the township and parish of Egton; 1¾ miles NW. of Egton, 8 miles from Whitby."


"WESTONBY HOUSE, in the township and parish of Egton; 1 mile WNW. of Egton."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]