"ELLERBURN, a parish in the wapentake of PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.E. from Pickering, comprising the chapelry of Witton, and containing 203 inhabitants, exclusively of a portion of the township of Farmanby, "which is in this parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, rated in the king's books at £7 4. 9., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Dean of York. The church is dedicated to St. Hilda."
"FARMANBY, a township partly in the parish of ELLERBURN, but chiefly in that of THORNTON-DALE, PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles E.S.E. from Pickering, containing 403 inhabitants. There is an estate in this township belonging to the Dean and Canons of Windsor, part of which is called Monklands."
"WILTON, a chapelry in the parish of ELLERBURN, PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.E. from Pickering, containing 203 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]