"ELLERBURN, a parish in the wapentake of Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 2½ miles N.E. of Pickering, the nearest railway station on the Whitby branch of the North-Eastern line. It includes the townships of Farmanby and Wilton. A small rivulet, called Thornton Beck, runs through the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value with the curacy of Wilton annexed, £131, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is an ancient stone structure, originally in the Saxon style of architecture, but having been repaired at different times, other styles have been introduced. It has a tower and porch, and is dedicated to St. Hilda. It contains an ancient font, register chest, and piscina. The charities produce about £2 per annum. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel. The Rev. John R. Hill is lord of the manor. There is a chapel-of-ease at Wilton."
"FARMANBY, a township in the parish of Ellerburn, wapentake of Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 3 miles E. of Pickering."
"WILTON, a chapelry and township in the parish of Ellerburn, W. division of Pickering lythe wapentake, North Riding county York, 4½ miles S.E. of Pickering. The village is situated on the old road from Pickering to Scarborough. The land is fertile, on a subsoil of limestone. There are a chapel-of-ease to Farmanby and a chapel for Wesleyans. There are National and Sunday schools. The Rev. J. R. Hill, M.A., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013