Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for ERYHOLME: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1890.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

ERYHOLME: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1890.

Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of East Gilling - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Darlington - Rural Deanery of Richmond East - Archdeaconry of Richmond - Diocese of Ripon.

Eryholme, formerly a township and chapelry in Gilling West parish, is now a separate parish for all purposes. Its area is 2,199 acres, and the number of inhabitants, 185. The Honourable Mrs. Wellesley, daughter of the late Lord Rokeby, is the owner of the manor and the greater part of the land. The soil is a strong clay and very productive, yielding good crops of turnips, potatoes, beans, and cereals. The land is well drained, and all the farm buildings in capital order. The village is situated on the south bank of the Tees opposite Hurworth, 4½ miles S.E. of Darlington. The Church (St. Mary) is a plain stone building, now undergoing restoration, at a cost of between £500 and £600. The style of architecture ranges from late Norman of the 12th century to the Early Perpendicular. The registers date from 1565. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the vicar of Gilling, worth £80 a year. There are 27 acres of glebe land attached to it. The present incumbent is the Rev. Walter Edward Stewart, M.A.

There is a substantially built school in the village, attended by 82 children. Agriculture is the chief occupation of the inhabitants, but a few are employed in the brick and tile works, where a very good quality of both house and drain tiles is turned out.

Low Enter Common is a hamlet in this township, two miles S.E. of the village.

[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]

Directories

  • Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.


Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016