Parish main page
Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of East Gilling - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Darlington - Rural Deanery of Richmond East - Archdeaconry of Richmond - Diocese of Ripon.
Eryholme, formerly a township and chapelry in Gilling West parish, is now a separate parish for all purposes. Its area is 2,199 acres, and the number of inhabitants, 185. The Honourable Mrs. Wellesley, daughter of the late Lord Rokeby, is the owner of the manor and the greater part of the land. The soil is a strong clay and very productive, yielding good crops of turnips, potatoes, beans, and cereals. The land is well drained, and all the farm buildings in capital order. The village is situated on the south bank of the Tees opposite Hurworth, 4½ miles S.E. of Darlington. The Church (St. Mary) is a plain stone building, now undergoing restoration, at a cost of between £500 and £600. The style of architecture ranges from late Norman of the 12th century to the Early Perpendicular. The registers date from 1565. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the vicar of Gilling, worth £80 a year. There are 27 acres of glebe land attached to it. The present incumbent is the Rev. Walter Edward Stewart, M.A.
There is a substantially built school in the village, attended by 82 children. Agriculture is the chief occupation of the inhabitants, but a few are employed in the brick and tile works, where a very good quality of both house and drain tiles is turned out.
Low Enter Common is a hamlet in this township, two miles S.E. of the village.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.