Wapentake of Langbaurgh (West Division) - Poor Law Union, County Court District, and Electoral Division of Stokesley - Petty Sessional Division of Langbaurgh West - Rural Deanery of Northallerton - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
Faceby, comprising 1,381 acres, was formerly a chapelry and township under Whorlton, but is now a distinct parish for all ecclesiastical and civil purposes. The annual rental of all the land and property is estimated at £1,352: the rateable value is £1,231, and number of inhabitants 174. 'The principal landowners are John Stapylton Sutton, Esq., Elton (lord of the manor), Mrs. Reeve, Southampton, Richard Nightingale, Faceby Lodge, and James Emerson, Esq., Easby Hall, Stokesly.
The manor belonged at an early period to the De Brus or Bruce family, lords of Skelton, from whom it passed to the Thwengs. From the latter it came into the possession of the Nevilles, and on the death and attainder of John Neville Marquis of Montague, it was with other estates confiscated and given to Richard, Duke of Gloucester, afterwards Richard III. Subsequently it came into the possession of the Prissicks, by whom it was sold to William Sutton, Esq., of Elton, in the first half of last century. This gentleman died in 1769, and was succeeded by his eldest surviving son, George Sutton, Esq., who, dying childless in 1817, bequeathed his estate to his grand nephew, George William Hutchinson, grandson of his sister Mary, wife of Charles Bathurst Sleigh, Esq. Mr. Hutchinson, in compliance with the testamentary injunction of his great uncle, assumed the surname and arms of Sutton. He married Olivia, daughter of Henry Stapylton, Esq., of Norton, and the present owner, born in 1832, was the second son of this marriage.
The village lies at the foot of Whorl Hill, four miles S.S.W. of Stokesley. Its name is said by the author of "Yorkshire Past and Present "to be compounded of two Norse words, faker and by, signifying the Boaster's town.
The Church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalen, was rebuilt in 1875, the old Norman arch inside the porch being the only portion of the previous structure retained in the present edifice. We have no record of the erection of the first church, but there was undoubtedly one here in the early part of the 15th century. In 1414, Sir Lewis Goulton, Knight, was buried here, and there was formerly a monument bearing a brass plate inscribed to his memory. The present building is a very plain stone structure, consisting of chancel and nave, with south porch and western turret, containing one bell. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £118, including nine acres of glebe, in the gift of J. S. Sutton, Esq., and held by the Rev. George Prowde, M.A.
The Primitive Methodists have a Chapel here, erected in 1866.
CHARITIES. - Anthony Lasenby, in 1634, left £50, which was invested in a yearly rent charge of £3 6s., of which sum 14s. is divided equally between the vicar and churchwardens and clerk, and of the remainder (52s.), one shilling is given weekly to the poor, in bread, in the church as directed in the will of the donor. The poor also receive 20s. out of a rent charge left by Christopher Prissick. Another rent charge of 10s., left by an unknown donor, has been lost.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.