GENUKI Home page    Felixkirk Parish<br>main page Felixkirk
Parish
main page

FELIXKIRK:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"FELIXKIRK, a parish comprising the township of Felix-Kirk, within the liberty of RIPON, West riding, and the chapelry of Boltby, and the townships of Sutton under Whitcstone Cliffe, and Thhiby, in the wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding, of the county of YORK, and containing 1008 inhabitants, of which number, 113 are in the township of Felix-Kirk, 4 miles E.N.E. from Thirsk. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at 10, and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church is dedicated to St. Felix. At Mount-St. John, in this parish, the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem had formerly a preceptory."


"BOLTBY, a chapelry in that part of the parish of FELIXKIRK, which is in the wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.E. from Thirsk, containing 403 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to the Holy Trinity."


"SUTTON UNDER WHITESTONE CLIFFE, a township in that part of the parish of FELIX-KIRK, which is in the wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of tne county of YORK, 3 miles N.E. from Thirsk, containing 325 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists."


"THIRLBY, a township in that part of the parish of FELIX-KIRK, which is in the wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles E.N.E. from Thirsk, containing 167 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014