GENUKI Home page    Filey Parish<br>main page Filey
Parish
main page

FILEY:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"FILEY, a parish partly in the wapentake of PICKERING lythe, North riding, but chiefly in the wapentake of DICKERING, East riding, of the county of YORK, 2 miles N.E. from Hunmanby, containing, with the townships of Gristhorpe and Libberston, which are in Pickering lythe, 1128 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, endowed with 400 private benefaction, 600 royal bounty, and 1600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Humphrey Osbaldeston Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Oswald. The parish is bounded on the east by the bay of the same name. It has a considerable fishery, and is much resorted to in the bathing season. There is a mineral spring, the water of which has properties similar to that at Scarborough."


"GRISTHORPE, a township in that part of the parish of FILEY, which is in PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.E. from Scarborough, containing 212 inhabitants."


"LIBBERSTON, a township in that part of the parish of FILEY, which is in PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N. from Hunmanby, containing 143 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014