"FILEY, a parish, seaport, and market town, chiefly in the wapentake of Dickering, East Riding, but partly in Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 8 miles S.E. of Scarborough, and 10 N.W. of Bridlington. It is situated on a well-sheltered bay, to which it gives name. Its shore is washed by the German Ocean, the violence of which is broken by a long ridge of rock anciently called the "File," extending nearly a mile and a half into the sea, and forming a good natural pier. Filey Point is a small cape forming the northern boundary of the bay, which extends southward to Flamborough Head. The North-Eastern line of railway has a station here. The parish includes the townships of Gribsthorpe and Libberstone. The place, as now seen, is quite of recent date; a few years back there existed a fishing village, which now forms the old town. The new town, consisting of well-built houses, good hotels, shops stocked with every requisite, and a superior class of boarding-houses, is frequented by visitors from all parts of the northern districts of the country, as well as from more remote places; and owing to its facilities for sea-bathing, its chalybeate waters, and its local and surrounding scenery, is rapidly becoming a favourite and thriving watering-place. The town is well drained, has a good water supply, and is lighted with gas. There are salt-water baths, both warm and cold. On the cliffs is a station of the coastguard. The labouring population are for the most part employed in the lobster and herring fishing, and in the curing of the latter. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £95. The church is an ancient structure in the form of a cross, the centre being surmounted by an embattled tower. The architecture partakes of the early English and Norman styles, the interior having some good specimens of elaborate workmanship. It is dedicated to St. Oswald, and contains several tablets and monuments. The town and the church stand in different Ridings-the first in the East, and the latter in the North Riding-at a considerable elevation above the town, from which it is divided by a rivulet flowing through a narrow gorge. The charities produce about £3 per annum. The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have chapels, and there are schools on the National and Glasgow systems. Admiral Mitford is lord of the manor. Friday is market day for all kinds of provisions. Races are held in the month of September."
"GRISTHORPE, a township in the parish of Filey, wapentake of Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 2 miles N.W. of Filey, and 5 S.E. of Scarborough. The Hull and Scarborough branch of the North-Eastern line passes through the township, and has a station in the village. The Wesleyans have a chapel. In 1834 a coffin was discovered containing some blackened human remains, together with ancient weapons. W. Beswick, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"LEBBERSTON, a township in the parish of Filey, wapentake of Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Filey, and 4 S.E. of Scarborough. It is situated near the coast, on the river Filey. There are a few small charities."
"LIBBERSTON, a township in the parish of Filey, wapentake of Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 4 miles N. of Hunmanby."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013