"FINGHALL, (or Fingall), a parish in the wapentake of West Hang, North Riding county York, 4 miles E. of Middleham, its post town, and 8 S.E. of Richmond. The Fingall Lane station, on the Northallerton and Leyburn branch of the North-Eastern railway, is a short distance from the village, which is situated on an eminence. The parish includes the townships of Akebar, Burton-Constable, and Hutton-Hang. The surface is undulating and richly wooded. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, value £342. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. Andrew. It contains some monuments of the Wyvill family. The charities produce about £5 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a parochial school. The Marquis of Ailesbury is lord of the manor."
"AKEBAR, (or Aikbar), a township in the parish of Finghall, wapentake of Hang, in the North Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the E. of Leyburn. The township contains 760 acres."
"CONSTABLE BURTON, a chapelry in the parish of Finghall, wapentake of West Hang, in the North Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the E. of Leyburn. Studdow is a hamlet of this chapelry."
"HUTTON HANG, a township in the parish of Finghall, wapentake of West Hang, North Riding county York, 1 mile from Finghall, and 3 miles N.E. of Middleham. This township is partly situated in' East Hang, and gives name to the two wapentakes of East and West Hang. It belongs ecclesiastically to the parish of Bedale. The Marquis of Ailesbury is lord of the manor."
"STUDDOW, a hamlet in the chapelry of Constable Burton and parish of Finghall, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Leyburn."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013