Wapentake of Bulmer - Petty Sessional Division of Bulmer East - Poor Law Union and County Court District of York - Rural Deanery of Bulmer - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
Flaxton, formerly a township partly in the parish of Bossal, and partly in that of Foston, was by an Order in Council in 1861 constituted a separate and independent parish. The parochial limits are conterminous with those of the township, and enclose an area of 1,748 acres, and 366 inhabitants. It gives name to an Electoral Division under the Local Government Act of 1888. The parish is intersected by the York and Scarborough railway, on which there is a station about half-a-mile from the village. The rateable value is £3,429, about one-half of which is assessed on the N.E.R. Co. for the portion of their line lying within the parish. The principal landowners are the exors. of T. R. Smith, to whom the manorial rights belong; Colonel Herbert, Upper Helmsley; W. A. Wood, Sutton Forest; exors. of William Metcalfe; William Smithson, York; Sir Charles W. Strickland, Bart., Hildenley, Malton; Richard Esh, Stugdale House; and W. Thompson, Harton.
The village is pleasantly situated by the side of a green, about eight miles N.E. of York. There is a handsome church here, erected in 1853, at a cost of £1,200. It is built of white stone, in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel and nave with gable belfry. There are two beautiful stained glass windows on the south side of the nave; one to the memory of Dame Maria Walker, of Sand Hutton; the other, of Charles A. Griffith, son of the rector. They were both executed by J. Capronnier, of Brussels, and are beautiful specimens of art. The latter, on which are represented Christ stilling the tempest, and a pictorial exemplification of the words, "Behold the lilies of the field, how they grow, they toil not, neither do they spin," was shown at the York exhibition. The east window of three lights is plain, the west one, a tall single-light lancet, is a memorial of William and Elizabeth Thompson. The living is a rectory, gross value £240 (amount of rent-charge for which the tithes were commuted) with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Durham, and held by the Rev. James Griffith, B.A., the first and present rector.
The school was rebuilt in 1867, chiefly through the exertions of the rector, and a clock and tower were added in commemoration of Her Majesty's Jubilee.
The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have small chapels in the village.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.
any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016