"FOSTON, a parish in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Foston and Thornton upon Clay, and containing 264 inhabitants, of which number, 91 are in. the township of Foston, !!£miles N.N.E. from York. -The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £14, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to All Saints."
"THORNTON LE CLAY, a township in the parish of FOSTON, wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, 11 miles N.N.E. from York, containing 173 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]