"FOSTON, a parish, and township in the wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 7 miles S.W. of New Malton, and 12 N.E. of York, its post town. It is situated near the York and Scarborough line of railway, and includes the township of Thornton-le-Clay, with part of Flaxton-on-the-Moor. The Flaxton station on the above line is about 21 miles S. of the village. The surface is generally flat. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £595, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is a small structure of ancient date, dedicated to St. Andrew. The charitable endowments produce about £12 per annum. The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Society of Friends have each a place of worship at Thornton-le-Clay, where the parochial school is situated. The Rev. Edmund Gray is lord of the manor."
"THORNTON LE CLAY, a township in the parish of Foston, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 8 miles S.W. of Malton, and 11 N. of York. There is a school for both sexes. The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Society of Friends have chapels."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013