|Yorkshire||North RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"FOSTON, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer; 7½ miles SW. of Malton. The church is dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph), the living is a rectory in the gift of the Crown, incumbent the Rev. Sidney Smith. Pop. 91."
"FLAXTON, in the parishes of Bossall and Foston, wapentake of Bulmer a part in the liberty of St. Peter's; 2¼ miles SSW. of Foston, 8 miles NE. of York. In the autumn of 1807, a lead box was turned up by the plough in a field near this place, which contained about 300 small Saxon silver coins, in high preservation, some silver rings, and several pieces of spurs. Pop. 299." - -(See Bossall for directory)
"THORNTON LE CLAY, in the parish of Foston, and wapentake of Bulmer; ¾ mile W. of Foston, 8 miles SW. of Malton. There are here a Methodist chapel and a Friends Meeting house. Pop. 173."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]