[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"FYLINGDALES, a dale and a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Whitby Strand; 4 miles SE. of Whitby consists of the seven following hamlets, viz. Hawsker Bottoms, Bay Ness, Row. Thorpe, Stoupe Brow, Park Gate, and Robin Hood's Town; the church (see Churches for photograph) is situated between Thorpe and Robin Hood's bay, the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York; incumbent, the Rev. James Harrison. Pop. 1702."
"FLASK INN, in the township and parish of Fylingdales; 1¾ miles ESE. of Fylingdales, 9 miles from Whitby, 11 from Scarborough."
"FYLING HALL, a farm house in the township and parish of Fylingdales; 2½ miles NE. of Fylingdales, 7 miles from Whitby.
This was formerly the seat of Sir Hugh Cholmley, which he sold to his kinsman, Sir John Hotham, in 1634, and in which family it now remains."
"FYLINGTHORPE, in the parish of Fylingdales, wapentake and liberty of Whitby Strand; 3 miles NE. of Fylingdales, 6 miles SSE. of Whitby. Here is a very neat Chapel of Ease re-built 1821-2. Pop. included with Fylingdales."
"HIGH NORMANBY, (and Low Normanby) in the parish of Fylingdales, wapentake and liberty of Whitby Strand; 3 miles NE. of Fylingdales, 4 miles S. of Whitby."
"ROBIN HOOD'S BAY, in the parish of Fylingdales, wapentake & liberty of Whitby Strand; 3½ miles ENE. of Fylingdales, 6 miles SE. of Whitby. A small fishing town, formerly noted for being the retreat of that famous captain and his banditti; who, when closely pursued, had always in readiness at this place, a number of small fishing vessels, in which putting off to sea, he eluded the vigilance of his pursuers, and bid defiance to the whole power of the English nation, civil and military. The extensive alum mines here and their crystalized excavations, form the principal attractions of the place. A master and seven men are now stationed here on the preventive service. Pop. included in Fylingdales."
"STOUP BROW COTTAGE, (the seat of Sunderland Cook, Esq.) in the township and parish of Fylingdales; 3½ miles E. of Fylingdales, 8 miles from Whitby, 12 from Scarborough."
In 2003 a ceiling was removed in a cottage at Robin Hood's Bay and two timbers were found, one with 'Ipswich' carved in it and the other 'Elizabeth Jan'. They were later found to be the port of registration board and name-board of a Canadian brig called the Elizabeth Jane. " The Lost Brig" website is an attempt to investigate and record Elizabeth Jane's Story, the places she visited, and the lives of those who sailed in her.