"GATE HELMSLEY, a parish within the liberty of ST-PETER-OF-YORK, East riding, though locally in the wapentake of Bulmer, North riding, of the county of YORK, 6 miles E.N.E. from York, containing 209 inhabitants. The living is a discharged viearage, rated in the king's books at £2, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £800 royal bounty, and in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Prebendary of Osbaldwick in the Cathedral Church of York. The church is dedicated to St. Mary."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]