Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for GILLING WEST: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

GILLING WEST: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"GILLING WEST, a parish comprising the chapelries of South Cowton and Eryholme, and the township of North Cowton, in the eastern division, and the townships of Eppleby and Gilling in the western division, of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, and containing 1673 inhabitants, of which number, 921 are in the township of Gilling, 3 miles N.E. from Richmond. The living is a vicarage, in the. archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated iu the king'sbooks at£23.11.5., and -in the patronage of John Wharton, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Agatha, retains some traces of Norman architecture, and was appropriated, in 1224, to the monastery of St. Mary, in York. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Gilling is a place of great antiquity, and remarkable as the scene of the murder of Oswyn, King of Deira, by his host, Oswin of Bernicia3 in expiation of which crime, a monastery was founded on the spot, by Queen Eanfleda, but not the slightest vestige of it now remains. There are quarries of excellent freestone, with materials drawn from which most of the bridges in the North riding are built. Sir Thomas Wharton, in 1678, founded Hartforth free school, for thirty children, and endowed it with an estate now producing about £125 a-year. There is also a school, endowed with £20 per annum by Matthew Hutchinson, in which eighty children are educated on the National plan."


"EPPLEBY, a township in that part of the parish of GILLING WEST, which is in the western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of York, 8 miles N.E. from Richmond, containing 157 inhabitants."


"ERYHOLME, a chapelry in that part of the parish of GILLING WEST, which is in the eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.S.E. from Darlington, containing 177 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Gilling. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary."


"NORTH COWTON, a township in that part of the parish of GILLING WEST, which is in the western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 6ij%; miles N.E. from Catterick, containing 270 inhabitants."


"SOUTH COWTON, a chapelry in that part of the parish of GILLING WEST, which is in the eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles E.N.E. from Catterick, containing 148 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Gilling. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary. On the moor between this and North Cowton was fought the famous battle of the Standard, in 1138, between the English and the Scotch, when the latter were defeated with the loss of eleven thousand men: the spot is still called Standard Hill, and the holes into which the slain were thrown, the Scots' Pits."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]