GENUKI Home page    Gilling West Parish<br>main page Gilling West
Parish
main page

GILLING WEST:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"GILLING WEST, a parish comprising the chapelries of South Cowton and Eryholme, and the township of North Cowton, in the eastern division, and the townships of Eppleby and Gilling in the western division, of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, and containing 1673 inhabitants, of which number, 921 are in the township of Gilling, 3 miles N.E. from Richmond. The living is a vicarage, in the. archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated iu the king'sbooks at£23.11.5., and -in the patronage of John Wharton, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Agatha, retains some traces of Norman architecture, and was appropriated, in 1224, to the monastery of St. Mary, in York. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Gilling is a place of great antiquity, and remarkable as the scene of the murder of Oswyn, King of Deira, by his host, Oswin of Bernicia3 in expiation of which crime, a monastery was founded on the spot, by Queen Eanfleda, but not the slightest vestige of it now remains. There are quarries of excellent freestone, with materials drawn from which most of the bridges in the North riding are built. Sir Thomas Wharton, in 1678, founded Hartforth free school, for thirty children, and endowed it with an estate now producing about £125 a-year. There is also a school, endowed with £20 per annum by Matthew Hutchinson, in which eighty children are educated on the National plan."


"EPPLEBY, a township in that part of the parish of GILLING WEST, which is in the western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of York, 8 miles N.E. from Richmond, containing 157 inhabitants."


"ERYHOLME, a chapelry in that part of the parish of GILLING WEST, which is in the eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.S.E. from Darlington, containing 177 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Gilling. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary."


"NORTH COWTON, a township in that part of the parish of GILLING WEST, which is in the western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 6ij%; miles N.E. from Catterick, containing 270 inhabitants."


"SOUTH COWTON, a chapelry in that part of the parish of GILLING WEST, which is in the eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles E.N.E. from Catterick, containing 148 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Gilling. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary. On the moor between this and North Cowton was fought the famous battle of the Standard, in 1138, between the English and the Scotch, when the latter were defeated with the loss of eleven thousand men: the spot is still called Standard Hill, and the holes into which the slain were thrown, the Scots' Pits."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014