"GILLING WEST, a parish in the North Riding of Yorkshire, near Richmond, had a castle; and was the capital mansion of Will. the Conq's. great Capt. Alan (to whom he gave the greatest part of 146 manors) as it was long afterwards the seat of the Lds. of this country. It gives name to the Hs. Gilling E. and W. and had formerly a mon. The castle bel. once to the Mowbrays, and afterwards to the Fairfaxes."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]