"GILLING WEST, a parish in the wapentakes of East and West Gilling, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Richmond, its post town, and 12 S.W. of Darlington. It includes the townships and chapelries of Eryholme, Forcett, Hutton-Magna, and North and South Cowton, with the hamlets of Hartforth and Sedbury. A castle was built hare at an early period, and Earl Edwyn, the Saxon, is said to have been murdered here. It was also the scene of the murder of Oswy, King of Deira, by his host Oswin, of Bernicia. A monastery was subsequently founded on the spot by Queen Eanfleda, of which no traces now remain. An Enclosure Act was obtained in 1810 under which the tithes have been commuted for land and a money payment. Freestone suitable for building purposes is obtained in the neighbourhood. The village is considerable. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £1,029. The church is a stone structure of ancient date in the Norman style of architecture. It is dedicated to St. Agatha, and was appropriated in 1224 to the monastery of St. Mary, in York. It contains many old monuments. There are also four district churches, viz: South Cowton, Eryholme, Forcett, and Hutton Magna, the livings of all which are perpetual curacies, varying in value from £49 to £87, and in the patronage of the vicar. The register commences in 1625. The whole of the parochial endowments produce about £170 yearly, £125 of which are applied under the will of Sir Thomas Wharton, K.B., to the free grammar school at Hartforth, of which he was the founder. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a National school for boys and girls. Hartforth Hall and Sedbury Hall are the principal residences in the parish."
"ERYHOLME, a chapelry in the parish of Gilling West, wapentake of East Gilling, North Riding county York, 2 miles E. of Dalton station on the North-Eastern railway, and 4 S.E. of Darlington. It is situated on the river Tees, and commands an extensive prospect. Several plantations have been recently made. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £49, in the patronage of the Vicar of Gilling. The church is dedicated to St. Mary."
"HARTFORTH, a hamlet in the township and parish of Gilling West, North Riding county York, 3 miles N. of Richmond."
"PEPPER HALL, a hamlet in the chapelry of South Cowton, and parish of Gilling West, North Riding county York, 5 miles E. of Richmond, and 5 N. of Northallerton. It is situated near Standard Hill, where the Battle of the Standard was fought in 1138. The principal residence is Pepper Hall, the old seat of the Ardens. The Bedale hounds meet here."
"SEDBURY, a hamlet in the parish of Gilling West, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Richmond."