Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Gilling West:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Gilling West:


"ATLEY HILL, a farm house in the township of South-Cowton and parish of Gilling West; 7 miles ESE. of Gilling West, 8 miles from Richmond, 9 from Northallerton."


"BRACKENBY, a farm house in the township of Barton and parish of Gilling West; 7 miles from Darlington, (Dur) 7½ from Richmond."


"EPPLEBY, in the parish of Gilling West, wapentake of Gilling West and liberty of Richmondshire; 5 miles N. of Gilling West, 9 miles N. of Richmond. Pop. 157."


"ERYHOLME, a chapelry, in the parish of Gilling West, wapentake of Gilling East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 9 miles ENE. of Gilling West, 4½ miles SE. of Darlington. Here is a chapel, under Gilling; the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rev. William Wharton, vicar of Gilling. of which the Rev. Caleb Readshaw, is incumbent, and the Rev. J. Jackson, curate. Pop. 177."


"HARTFORTH, in the parish of Gilling West, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; ¾ mile NW. of Gilling West, 4 miles N. of Richmond. Here is a free grammar school, founded and endowed by Sir Thomas Wharton, K. B. in the year 1678, for thirty poor scholars selected from the following places, Hartforth, 14; Gilling, 8; Skeeby. 2; Aske, 2; Melsonby, 2; Layton and Carken, 2; to be elected by the overseers of the poor and chief inhabitants, and approved by the trustees. The endowment is the school-house and buildings with a freehold farm, situate at West Rounton, containing one hundred and eighteen acres, the Rev. John Atkinson is the master, and the perpetual curate of Barton and South Cawton. At this school the Rev. W. Beloe, received the ground work of his classical education, under the Rev. Matthew Raine, father of the late Dr. Raine of the Charter-House, and Jonathan Raine. Esq. an eminent Barrister. Population included with Gilling."


"HEDGEHOLM, a farm house in the parish of Gilling West, and township of Barforth; wapentake of Gilling-West; 7½ miles NNW. of Gilling West, 10 miles from Richmond."


"LITTLE HUTTON, a hamlet in the township of Barforth, and parish of Gilling West; 5½ miles NNW. of Gilling West, 3 miles from Gretabridge."


"NORTH COWTON, in the parish of Gilling West, wapentake of Gilling East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 6½ miles E. of Gilling West, 7½ miles NW. of Northallerton. Pop. 270."


"PEPPER HALL, (the seat of John Arden, Esq.)(now Pepper Arden - 2005) in the township of South-Cowton, and parish of Gilling West; 7½ miles ESE. of Gilling West, 6 miles from Northallerton, 7 from Richmond, 11 from Darlington, (Dur.)"


"SEDBURY, scattered houses in the parish of Gilling West, wapentake of Gilling East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1¼ miles E. of Gilling West, 3 miles N. by E. of Richmond. Pop. included with Gilling."


"SEDBURY HALL, (the residence of Colonel Tower) in the town-ship and parish of Gilling West, wapentake of Gilling-West; 1 mile E. of Gilling West, 4 miles from Richmond, 6 from Catterick, 10 from Gretabridge.

Within the angle where the Ermine-street and High-street meet, is Sedbury, where, it is supposed, was a palace of King Oswin's. -Archoeologia.

The manor-house with the estate at Sedbury, was for many generations, the residence of the Boyntons, and probably built by them, "which from an ordinary tower-built house, has gradually increased to a large and magnificent mansion."

In 1650, James D'Arcy, 6th son of Conyers Lord D'Arcy, of Hornby-Castle, purchased Sedbury, which passed by marriage, in 1738, to Sir Robert Hilyard, Bart. of Winstead, E.r. father of the late Sir Robert, who died in 1814, without issue, when it came to the present owner, James Hasey D'Arcy Hutton, Esq."


"SOUTH COWTON, a chapelry in the parish of Gilling West, wapentake of Gilling East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 7¼ miles ESE. of Gilling West, 6 miles E. of Richmond. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Mary, under Gilling; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Ripon; incumbent, Rev. William Darley Waddilove; curate, the Rev. John Atkinson. Population, 148."


"TEMPLE HOUSE, a farm house in the township of South-Cowton, and parish of Gilling West; 8 miles from Northallerton, 9 from Richmond."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]