"GLAISDALE, a parish and township in the E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 9 miles S.W. of Whitby, its post town. It includes the hamlets of Fryup, Green Houses, Howlsike, Lealholm Bridge; and Stonegate. A part of this parish consists of moor, but for the most part it is under cultivation. It is surrounded by barren hills, the naked summits of which contrast strikingly with the rich vale beneath. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £120, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church was built in 1793 upon the site of a more ancient edifice. The Wesleyans have two chapels in this township. The parochial charities produce about £9 per annum, a part of which is for school purposes."
"LEALHOLME BRIDGE, a hamlet in the parish of Glaisdale, North Riding county York, 9 miles W. of Whitby. It is situated on the river Eske."