"GREAT AYTON, a parish, in the western division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, in the North Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the N.E. of Stokesley. Northallerton is its post town. It is situated in the picturesque district of Cleveland, at the foot of Roseberry Topping. This hill has an elevation of more than 1,000 feet. The parish comprises the township of Little Ayton, and the chapelry of Nunthorpe. The houses are mostly built of the freestone which is quarried in abundance from the hills on the east side of the parish. The summit of these hills is a thick bed of freestone; below that is a bed of shale, from which alum may be extracted; below that again, are seams of jet and ironstone. The railway which crosses this parish and connects the Stokesley and Guisborough lines, was finished in 1862. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £82, in the patronage of G. Marwood, Esq. The church is dedicated to All Saints, and has a monument to William Wilson, of Ayton Hall, commodore in the service of the East India Company, who died in 1795. There is also a church at Nunthorpe, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £50, in the patronage of Isaac Wilson, Esq., and John Richardson, Esq. Among the charitable endowments of Great Ayton, which together amount to £27 a year, is £10, the rents received from the old school-house, originally given by Michael Postgate, in 1704, and now let as tenements. The £10 are divided between the school built by the patron in 1851, and the British school, built in 1843. To Postgate school belongs more than common interest, for among its pupils, about the close of the year 1736, was James Cook, afterwards Captain Cook, the circumnavigator of the globe. Cleveland Lodge, Ayton Hall, Langbaurgh Hall, and Nunthorpe Hall are the principal seats."
"LANGBAURGH, a hamlet in the parish of Great Ayton, liberty of West Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Stokesley."
"LITTLE AYTON, a township in the parish of Great Ayton, liberty of Langbaurgh, in the North Riding of the county of York, 2 miles from Great Ayton. Tunstall, on the banks of the small river Tame is a hamlet of this township"
"NUNTHORPE, a chapelry and township in the parish of Great Ayton, W. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 3½ miles N.E. of Stokesley, its post town, 6 S.E. of Middlesborough, and 1½ mile from the Nunthorpe station on the Stockton and Darlington railway. The village, which is inconsiderable, is situated on the road between Stokesley and Redcar. This place takes the prefix to its name from a Cistercian nunnery, which was removed here from Hutton in 1160. The soil is of a stiff clay, and the surface flat. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £46. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small stone structure, rebuilt in 1824. The village and Sunday schools are supported by voluntary contributions. The Whinstone-Dyke passes along the S. part of the township. Nunthorpe Hall is the principal residence. The trustees of the late W. Simpson, Esq., are lords of the manor."
"TUNSTALL, a hamlet in the parish of Great Ayton, wapentake of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Stokesley."