Parish main page
Parish main page
Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of East Hang - Electoral Division and Poor Law Union of Bedale - County Court District of Northallerton - Rural Deanery of East Catterick - Archdeaconry of Richmond - Diocese of Ripon.
This parish was formed by an Order in Council, dated 11th of April, 1840, and comprises the townships of Crakehall and Langthorne, formerly under the jurisdiction of Bedale, and part of East Brompton in Patrick Brompton. The total area is 3,304 acres, and the population, according to the last census, 693. The surface is level; the soil, loam in some places and gravel in others; and the principal crops, wheat, oats, barley, and turnips, In the township of Crakehall there are 1,759 acres of land under assessment, which are valued for rating purposes at £3,335. The inhabitants numbered, in 1881, 484.
Crakehall, Crachell in Domesday Book, gave name to a family who were probably its early owners. The manor subsequently passed through various families to the Pulleines, by whom it was purchased in 1810, and is now the property of Sir John Clayton Cowell, K.C.B., in right of his wife, Georgina Elizabeth, only child of the late James Pulleine, Esq., of Clifton Castle and Crake Hall, The following have also estates in the township, viz., the trustees of the late James Robson, Esq.; Sir Charles Dodsworth, Bart., Thornton Watlass; Lord Yarborough; Sir Henry Beresford-Peirse, Bart., Bedale Hall; and Mr. Black, of London.
The village is delightfully situated on the banks of a small brook, two miles W. by N. of Bedale, and about half a mile N. of Crakehall station on the Northallerton and Hawes branch of the North Eastern Railway. The houses are ranged round a spacious quadrangular green, which is ornamented with lofty trees. The beck divides the village into two unequal parts, named, from their relative magnitudes, Great and Little Crakehall.
The Church, which is dedicated to St. Gregory, stands on the green, and was built in 1839, at a cost of about £1,000, raised chiefly by subscription. It is a plain, but substantial, Gothic building, consisting of nave, chancel, porch, and bell turret containing two bells. The walls are almost hidden beneath a covering of ivy. The living is a vicarage, worth £298 a year, in the gift of Sir Henry Beresford-Peirse, Bart., and held by the Rev. Thomas Milville Raven, M.A., F.R.S.E., and surrogate. The Vicarage House is a neat stone building, erected in 1842, and considerably enlarged by the present vicar in 1887. The Wesleyans have a small chapel in the village, built in 1839, and the Primitive Methodists have one in Little Crakehall, built in 1865.
The National School, with master's residence, is a brick structure, built by subscription in 1852, with accommodation for 100 children. It is supported by school fees, government grant, and a voluntary rate of 3d. in the £, contributed by the owners of property. There is an average attendance of 70 children (mixed), under the mastership of Mr. W. C. Powell Smith.
On the east side of the village is Crake Hall, the residence of Mrs. Garrett, gentlewoman, and Lieut.-Col. T. H. Heaton Garrett.
LANGTHORNE is a township in this parish, containing 833 acres, chiefly the property of the Duke of Leeds, who is also lord of the manor, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. There are also a few small freeholders. The soil is gravelly, resting on clay and gravel. The rateable value is £1,018, and the population 127. The boundary of the Wapentakes of Hang East and Hallikeld passes through the parish, and this township is included within the latter.
The village stands about 2½ miles N.N.W. of Bedale. A chapel-of-ease, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, was erected in 1877, at a cost of £1,400, chiefly defrayed by the Rev. T. Milville Raven, the present vicar. It was built from the designs of Mr. J. M. Bottomley, of Middlesbrough, in a severe type of Gothic, and comprises chancel, nave, porch, and vestry. The east window is a memorial of the Lister family, who were formerly owners of considerable property in the township. Several of the other windows are stained-glass memorials. There is accommodation for 115 persons. The Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1846, and was restored in 1872 at a cost of £200. It is a brick building, capable of seating 120.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.