Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades
for GREAT CRAKEHALL in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.
- Post Office, at J. Nicholson's. Letters arrive via Bedale at 7-30 a.m.,
and are despatched - summer, 5-45 p.m., and in winter at 4-45 p.m. No Sunday business.
Miscellany of trades
Marked 1 reside in Little Crakehall, and the remainder in Great Crakehall, or where specified.
- 1 Allison Grace, dressmaker
- 1 Atkinson Mr. Matthias
- Barrett Elizabeth, shopkeeper
- Bate James, beerhouse, Railway Inn
- Bott J., pick and hammer shaft mnfr., Saw mills
- 1 Brown John, carter
- Cannon Mr. Christopher
- Crow Mrs. Mary Ann
- Dinsdale Henry, vict. and farmer, Black Horse, Cross lanes
- Garrett Mrs. Ann, gentlewoman, The Hall
- Garrett Lient-Col. T. H. H., The Hall
- Graham Mrs. Martha, vict., Crown Inn
- Harrison Mrs. Mary
- Hobson Thomas, cowkeeper
- 1 Hudson Robert Robinson, managing farmer
- 1 Hutchinson Thomas, joiner and cartwright
- 1 Jameson Christopher Banks, grocer, &c.
- 1 Jones Albert, shoemaker
- Jones Rev. William Parker, B.A., curate
- Kettlewell T., station master, Crakehall station
- Langstaff Mrs. E., cowkeeper, Kirkbridge cots.
- Lawson Francis, pig dealer
- 1 Lawson John, butcher
- Linskill James, gamekeeper
- 1 Lockey Robert, sheep doctor
- Lockey Robert, vict., Bay Horse
- Morton Robinson, grocer, black and whitesmith
- 1 Mudd Matthew, blacksmith
- Nicholson Joseph, shoemaker and post office
- Pinkney John, junr., sheep doctor and grocer
- Pinkney Mr. John, senr.
- Pratt Peter, tailor
- 1 Pullan Charles Edwin, gent., Vincent house
- Raven Rev. Thomas Milville, M.A., F.R.S.E., The Vicarage
- Rimer Mr. Matthew
- 1 Robinson Mr. William
- Robson Capt. H., late 12th (Suffolk) Regt.
- Scott John, surveyor to the Hang East Highway Board
- 1 Sedgwick L. Lonsdale, joiner and wheelwright
- 1 Smith John, carpenter
- Smith William Conrad Powell, schoolmaster
- Stephenson Robert, stonemason and builder
- Taylor Mr. William
- 1 Thompson Robert, mole catcher and property owner
- 1 Thompson Thomas, senr., mole catcher and property owner
- 1 Tindale John, vict. and butcher, Malt Shovel
- Topham Thomas, cowkeeper
- Blooman Thomas (and butcher)
- Chapman William, High Scrogg
- Donthwaite John, West Pasture
- Heugh John, Mudd fields
- Hobson John (and corn miller and steam thrashing machine proprietor), Low mill
- Hudson John William
- Hudson Mrs. Matilda, The Grange
- Kettlewell Richard, Ing's farm, Kirkbridge
- 1 Lawson Thomas
- Leake John
- Leake Robert, Hall farm; h Rose cottage
- Loadman Miss Jane, Mirefold
- Loadman William, Coat house
- Metcalfe John, Low Scrogg
- Nelson Thomas
- Newsome Benjamin, Burrtree house
- Ralston Alexander Robert, Hunter's hill; h Holly moor, Hornby
- Sherwood Edwin (and reaping machine manufacturer), Kirkbridge
- Simpson John (and corn miller), High mill
- Spence Mrs. Ellen, Greengate
- Wain Michael, Kirkbridge
- Letters arrive via Bedale.
Miscellany of trades
- Holroyd William, cowkeeper
- Kearton John, shoemaker
- Stapleton Thomas, cowkeeper
- Stone William, clerk to S. T. Jones, Esq.
- Storey William, vict., Crown Inn
- Todd Charles Walter, blacksmith
- Watson Miss Margaret, shopkeeper
- Hobson Mrs. Alice & Son (John)
- Hobson William, Cobshaw farm
- Hodgson William, Storrow Pasture (and brick and tile manufacturer, Cobshaw)
- Outhwaite John, The Hall
- Pickles Robert
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©CRH 2006
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
[Last updated at 20.53 on Thursday, 01 August 2013, by Colin Hinson. ©2013]