"GREAT EDSTONE, a parish in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.W. from Pickering, containing 156 inha- bitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £7. 10., and in the patronage of the Marquis of Salisbury."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]