"GREAT LANGTON, a parish in the eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of GreatLangton, and Little Langton, and containing 202 inhabitants, of which number, 116 are in the township of Great Langton, 5 miles W.N.W. from North Allerton. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £6. 10. 10. The Duke of Leeds was patron in 1792. The church is a small fabric without aisles or tower; it stands iij, a retired situation about half a mile from the village. The river Swale runs through the parish."
"LITTLE LANGTON, a township in the parish of GREAT-LANGTON, eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.W. from North Allerton, containing 86 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]