GENUKI Home page    Great Smeaton Parish<br>main page Great Smeaton
main page

Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"GREAT SMEATON, a parish partly in the wapentake of ALLERTONSHIRE, and partly in the eastern division of that of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles N.W. from North Allerton, containing, with the township of Hornby, 488 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Richmond (with the perpetual curacy of Appleton upotv Wisk in that of Cleveland), and diocese of Chester, rated in the Icing's books at £13. 13. 4., and in the patronage of Henry Hewgill, Esq. The river Wisk runs through the parish, and the Tees flows along the northern side of it."

"HORNBY, a township in that part of the parish of GREAT-SMEATON, which is in the wapentake of ALLERTONSHIRE, North riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles N. from North Allerton, containing 238 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]

This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015