"GREAT SMEATON, a parish in the wapentakes of Allertonshire and Gilling East, North Riding county York, 7 miles N.W. of Northallerton, its post town, and 2 from the Cowton station, on the North-Eastern line of railway. The village is situated on an eminence near the rivers Wiske and Tees. The parish includes the hamlets of Hornby and Enter-Common. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The living is a rectory* with the curacy of Appleton-upon-Wiske annexed, in the diocese of Ripon, value £472. The church is an ancient stone structure with a turret containing two bells. There is a chapel-of-ease at Appleton, also an ancient Norman structure. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a National school."
"HORNBY, in the parish of Great Smeaton, North Riding county York, 8 miles N. of Allerton, and 3 from the Cowton station on the North-Eastern line of railway. It is situated near the river Tees. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Hornby Grange is the principal residence."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013