"GREAT THIRKLEBY, a parish in the wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles E.S.E. from Thirsk, containing 293 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £6, and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was rebuilt, in 1722, by Sir Thomas Frankland, Bart."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]