"GREAT THIRKLEBY, a parish in the wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 4 wiles S.E. of Thirsk, its post town, and 7 from Easingwold. The village, which consists of the two hamlets called High and Low Thirkleby, is situated near the Great North of England railway, on a branch of the river Swale. The parish includes the hamlet of Osgodby. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £210, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The roof is of oak, and several of the windows are stained. If was erected by Sir Thomas Frankland, Bart., in 1722, and rebuilt in 1849, at the expense of Lady Russell. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum. Thirkleby Hall is the principal residence."
"OSGOODBY, a hamlet in the parish of Great Thirkleby, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 1½ mile N.E. of Thirkleby, and 5 miles S.E. of Thirsk. The township consists of three farms. The soil is of a clayey nature. The Archbishop of York is lord of the manor."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
by Colin Hinson ©2013